Monday, August 4, 2008

Cast Freedom!

On Wednesday we will be taking Brock over to Shriner's Hospital to remove his casts. YEAH! Ryszard and I are both really excited to be over with this part of Brock's Club Foot correction process. {And I'm sure Brock will love not having to be in those hot, heavy casts all day, everyday.} After a series of casting that looked something like this:and surgery to cut his heel cord, we are finally moving onto the next step.
After the removal of his cast, {and hopefully a good leg washing} Brock will be placed into a pair of shoes with a bar attached, known as a Denis Brown Bar.
These shoes are designed to keep his feet in the position we've been working towards. He'll have to wear them full time {about 23 hours a day} for the first three months. Then slowly month by month the amount of time will decrease, so by the time he's ready to walk, he'll only have to wear them at night.
This whole experience has been very interesting. In a way I've loved being able to seeing how far medicine has come, and brush up on those medical classes I took in High School. On the other hand I still forget to add on 20 minutes to everything I do. {We are always being stopped by someone asking "What happened?" and then having to give the "cliff's notes" version to everyone.} At first whenever I went somewhere I'd cover Brock's legs with a blanket, because I got tired of always having to explain everything. But then I decided that if I have the opportunity to educate someone on the whole process why not go for it. I've also been stopped by others who notice the casts, and know that he has clubfoot, because they themselves have been through it. They are always saying, "It works!"
Brock has been amazing through the whole experience.
Ryszard and I are so thankful to have been blessed with such a "Big, Strong Boy!"
We are also thankful to all of you who have kept us in your thoughts and prayers.
Can't wait to show you all the ic's from his BIG day! {Stay tuned for Wednesday!}

4 comments:

marilyn said...

Brock really is such a good little trooper. What a good baby he is!

The Anglesey Family said...

I totally agree! I thank God every night for modern medicine! Doctors are my HERO'S!

karilyn said...

Happy days!
I voted today.
Consider yourself Tagged!
Go to my blog & see.

Cary & Katrina Sanders said...

That is the coolest picture of Brock's serial casting!

Hope you don't mind . . . I am from the no surgery for clubfoot yahoo group. I found your blog through Piper's mom's blog. Hope you don't mind if I put a link to your blog on my blog. If you do please let me know!
Thanks