Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Smell of Summer

I've always had a weird way of feeling summer approach. While most people think of flowers, swimming pools, and BBQ's. My first sense of summer is, and always will be the smell of freshly cut grass. It may be more nostalgia then anything else. Remembering those summer days as a child going over to my grandpa's and watching my older sisters take turns cutting the grass. While the rest of us raked out the clumps left behind, {who likes clumps anyway?}
When they got a bit older it was always my brothers who were supposed to do this chore. But I always ended up mowing. Usually because my mom would beg and beg my brothers to get outside and mow the lawn. And they of course took their own precious time. And me I just wanted it done so my mom would be happy. Funny thing is I actually love pushing a lawn mower around. Which is weird cause most people hate the fact that they need to cut the grass every other week. Or every week for some people. Ryszard is definitely one of those guys. He always puts off this dreaded chore. Knowing he'll just have to do it again next week. And the week after that and the week after that. {But if you ask me I'd much rather deal with cutting the grass every week then push a snow blower every time it snows. At least you don't need to bundle up for the grass.} And yet as much as He hates this chore all I can picture is our baby boy following Daddy around with his little bubble mower. {How freakin' cute would that Kodak moment be?}
Who would of thought, that the smell of freshly cut grass would create such thoughts!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I totally know what you mean about smells. And cut grass is a great one!!