Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Working on Words


I've never been too worried about Brock not having a huge vocabulary because, well he understands everything we say to him. {Very often just hearing a certain word will send him into the other room to fetch it. Example: the other day I mentioned the word moon, he ran to his room and came back with the book, "GOODNIGHT MOON".
He is a very smart little boy!
I have used ASL with him since he was 7 months old and he has a few signs he uses on a regular basis. Yesterday he learned a few more, {Again and Cookie} Ryszard and I obviously use English when we talk to Brock, and his Babcia Kornelia talks to him in Polish. So it's no wonder that he is a little confused with how to pronounce all those words, but today I was determined to get him to learn a few.
We worked on them through out the day and I'm happy to announce he has 3 new words to add to his vocabulary. Basket, Ball {obviously, those two will be use together quite often around here.} and Baby!
I sent a little video to some of my family this week of a few of Brock's other words {Mommy, Daddy, and White.} And just so I have a record of it somewhere, because I know I will forget: he also says the words: Exit {crazy I know but that was actually one of his first words, and we often play find the exit sign!}, Moon, Cheese, Hot, Cold, Cool, Water, Ma {which is what he says for animal and for the sound a goat makes.}and Mar {meaning Uncle Mark who is on a Mission for our Church, and who I often call missionary Mark. So Brock often sees the missionaries at church and says Mar, too cute!}
He signs the words: Please, Thank You, Milk, and More {along with his new signs: Again and Cookie}
I am so very proud of my "big boy". I am always trying to find new ways to teach him these simple things and the pay off of hearing him share his new words with daddy is absolutely wonderful. I am currently working on teaching him his ABC's so {hopefully} by the end of the Month {or at least by his birthday} we can sing the Alphabet Song together. Wish us luck!

3 comments:

Brianne said...

Owen never used a lot of words...and then he hit about 2 1/2 and he started saying everything!

Holly, on the other hand, tries to say everything we say. I think it's just a gender thing.

Kelly Tillotson said...

Brock is doing really well! We have weekly speech therapy and if he can say all his ABC's thats very advanced for a 2 year old thats not in daycare! Briggy knows most of the letters, he just doesnt SAY them. Its frustrating for me, but they aren't too worried only because his "mental" vocabulary and understanding is advanced...he just cant make the sounds b,p,m...that has really delayed him

You'll have to get video of Brock saying his ABC's--that would be so cute! Hope all is well with your 2 cute little guys!
*kelly

Julie said...

I have been trying to teach Tara the sign for more and she finally signed it a few days ago. It is so cute!