Monday, November 10, 2008

A reason to be thankful.

I recently joined a group on Yahoo for parents of kids with clubfoot. It has been so interesting to hear/read all the different issues other parents have encountered in their children's clubfoot experiences. Hearing some of these stories have made me extremely grateful for the amazing Doctors who have treated Brock's clubfoot. Not everyone follows the same method of correction, there are some children out there who have had to have many surgeries and casts, bracing and more surgeries. I am so thankful that we were able to go to a doctor that follows the Ponseti Method. {Even though this method has been around for over 50 years, it's only been mainstream for the past 8 years} and because of the other methods that were so wildly used before the Ponseti Method, many doctors have tried to intermix the 2 methods. I don't really agree with this. I feel the Ponseti Method is the best way to treat any child with clubfoot. {Although there may be some special cases where surgery is the only way to fix a clubfoot} I am also so grateful for Shriner's hospital because of their free care Ryszard and I haven't had to deal with any of the insurance problems that other parents have had come across their plate.
I just wanted to post a few updated photos of how Brock's feet are looking these days.
This is one of the stretches we I do with Brock's foot. When we first tried to do this stretch {back before we had his Achilles Tendon cut} Brock would cry until we let go, now he just giggles and thinks it's so funny.
I can't begin to tell you how thankful I am for the amazing progress that Brock has made in such a short time. Especially when I know there are children and adults in other countries that just have to learn to live with it. {This is another reason why Shriner's Hospital is such a great place, they offer FREE care to children all over the world. I was able to talk with a few of the doctors that were getting ready to go to the Dominican Republic and Cuba recently for a yearly clinic they hold there... WOW!}
It never seems to amaze me that even way things seem hard there is always something to be grateful for.

2 comments:

marilyn said...

His feet look great! Even better than when you were here. There are always good things around to be thankful for. We have been told to be thankful in ALL things. I too am thankful for Shriners and what they have done to help Brock and ease your burdens.

Cary & Katrina Sanders said...

We love Shriniers. We go to the one in St. Louis. All four of our children have been treated there.
Your little Brock is just adorable! So glad that his feet are doing well.
I hope you don't mind if I put a link to your blog on my blog.

P.S. I am from you yahoo clubfoot group.