Thursday, February 18, 2010

I Judge Books by Their Cover!

I know I know, they say you shouldn't but I have to admit that I do. The cover of a book is what first draws me to it. If that look interesting I end up reading the back jacket to get more info before deciding on whether or not I will take that precious time out of my day to read the pages within. Yes I judge books by their cover. Although there are a few books I never have to judge by their cover. That happens to be anything by Jodi Picoult. The first book I read by her was "My Sisters Keeper" and I was hooked from the start. Since then it has sprung a love affair between me and anything Jodi!
I started her latest book today, and have had many tear jerking moments already, and I'm not even through the first chapter. {I might have to suggest this one"Handle with Care" or even her next "House Rules" due out March 2 for Book club}
The story line in this book "Handle with Care", has really made me count myself Lucky. When we found out Brock would be born with clubfoot there were a few questions I had like: Where would we go to treat it?, and how long will his recovery be? Ryszard had a whole list of things running through his mind, but that's another story. I wasn't very worried, I never blamed myself or something I may have done, like many other women have. I never said "Why me?"
I truly feel that every child is a blessing. Difficult challenges and trails may arise but they are a blessing none the less and no matter what!
As much as I want to be closer to my family. I am very grateful to have been living right down the road from Shriners. Where we were able to get in and have Brock treated. Those first weeks were pretty busy. Appointments with doctors and casting sessions even surgery. But they went by fast and now I look at Brock while we are putting on his brace at night, and am amazed at where his little feet started. How much they have changed and grown. How much I have changed and grown. When we found out we were expecting Nicholas the first thing I wanted to know was if he would have clubfoot too! Was I worried? No, but I wanted to know. It is a question I will always want to have answered. Even when Nicholas arrived the first thing I asked was: " How are his feet?" It's crazy how the words "they look great" put me completely at ease. Even when I wasn't very worried to begin with.
I don't consider myself a very lucky person but with two precious boys at my side I can't help but feel like the luckiest Mom in the world. I hope my boys will always feel as lucky to have me as their mom and to know I hope to always "handle with care" their precious lives.

No comments: